Friday, September 10, 2010

1. Legal Authority:

The final project for contracts and negotiations caught me off guard. I was absent the day that we discussed it so I had a slow start. Finding an attorney was the most difficult part. I spent a couple of hours, spread out over the course of a few days to invest into the effort. The first web search led me to a page directory of attorneys. I called a few, but most of the numbers were no longer active. The fact that this page was displaying out dated contact information deterred me away from continuing to use it. Ultimately, I found my attorney through NOLO. NOLO is the same company that publishes the text book for the class, so I was very excited to have stumbled on their website.

The attorney that I chose was Jonathan W. Fountain with Lewis and Roca Attorneys. I didn’t spend an excessive amount of time comparing attorneys. I actually went with the first one that responded. In the weeks leading up to my initial conversation with the attorney I kept hearing other students talking about how the lawyers they were calling were canceling or flaking on their appointments. I was anticipating the same type of interaction. I was expecting to get blown off by the secretary before even getting to talk to the attorney. Imagine how surprised I was when this wasn’t the case. When I called, a man answered the phone and inquired about my phone call. I explained to him my purpose and he attempted to transfer me to Jonathan’s secretary. The secretary was gone so I was instead transferred to Jonathan’s voice mail system. I left Jonathan a detailed message.

When Jonathan called me back, about 2 hours later, he asked me a few questions. Some of them caught me off guard as they were very specific to specific projects and piece of art that I’ve worked on. It took me a moment to realize that he was researching who I was. I was intrigued that he would actually go to that length to confirm that I am actually a student at the Art Institute of Las Vegas. I was impressed that he asked questions about some of my artwork. That showed me that he understood I am more than just an art student. I am a future client.

No comments:

Post a Comment